1. Photo-gallery of China's 56 recognised ethnicities. Creepily like 'It's a Small World'. H/t The Awlwww.theawl.com
2. The average colour of the universe: "a conditionally perceived shade of beige"
3. 10-year old girl tasered 'who refused to take shower'
4. Data-viz: comparing Obama's foreign policy speeches.
5. Where have you been all my life? #10: the selector mug. These would have saved my bacon so many times on work experience (once when I was on placement with the BBC I made everyone tea and coffee with cold water. True story. In my defence there were two, very similar, kettles)